What are Ductless Mini-Split Systems?
At Gross Heating & Air Conditioning, we offer heating and cooling solutions for all age homes, including ductless systems which are perfect for homes without ductwork, hot or cold spots, sunrooms, basements, or even your garage. Our NATE-certified techs are pros at installing, repairing, and maintaining ductless systems.
A ductless system is a compact unit that uses a heat pump to deliver warm or cooled air directly where you need it. The condenser unit sits outside and can connect to up to eight indoor blowers. This means you can easily manage the temperature in several different areas without redoing drywall or resorting to inefficient window units or space heaters. It also means you don’t have to worry about energy loss or your home’s security.
Ductless, mini-split systems have many potential applications in residential homes. These systems are also ideal where extending or installing air distribution ductwork is not feasible, such as basement man caves, garages that you enjoy working in during the hot or cold months, or mother-in-law suite additions. Like traditional central systems, mini splits have two main components: an outdoor condenser (containing the compressor) and an indoor air-handling unit. Power, refrigerant tubing, suction tubing and a condensate drain link the outdoor section and the indoor section of the unit. There are several pros to owning a mini-split system.
The Benefits of Mini-Split Systems:
- They are small in size and flexibility for heating and cooling individual rooms.
- Units can be zoned. Some models can have as many as eight indoor air handling units, connected to one outdoor unit. Each zone has its own thermostat, so you only need to condition that space when it is occupied, saving energy and money.
- Ductless systems are easy to install, with indoor units that are small and sleek to fit any area.
- They are also impressively quiet and energy-efficient (and can save you more money than central air).
- They have an allergen filtration system for better indoor air quality.
- Since mini-split systems have no duct work, they avoid the energy loss associated with forced air systems.
- Compared with other “add-on” systems, mini splits offer more flexibility in interior design options. Indoor air handlers can be mounted flush into a drop ceiling, a floor unit, or hung on a wall.
- Mini-split systems offer higher security. These systems only require a small hole in the wall, where window mounted room units are an easy entrance for intruders.
The beauty of ductless units is that you can use them throughout your whole home or only in rooms that are harder to heat or cool such as sunrooms, attics, guest rooms, or finished porches. If you have temperature problems in certain areas, there’s no need to compromise comfort in your entire home or shut the door to avoid that area. All you need is a ductless system installation from Gross Heating.
Ductless, mini-split systems are a great alternative to installing a complete separate heating and cooling system for an addition or renovated area. Our HVAC experts at Gross Heating can offer several options for installation. Our techs are available any time you need anything, from heating and cooling installation to repairs and maintenance. Call us today with questions at 262-783-6000 or contact us online.