Kick Off Fall with a Furnace Clean and Check
For many Americans, fall signals the time to retreat to the comfort of their home, dust off the TV remote, and sink into the couch for their weekly dose of football.
When you’re setting your calendar for the first big game of the season, why not pencil in a reminder to contact Gross Heating and Air Conditioning for a routine tune-up of your furnace? Regular, scheduled maintenance of your heating system can be the catalyst for:
- keeping utility bills under control
- preventing bigger (and potentially more expensive) repairs down the road
- extending the life of the system
Here’s why: when your HVAC system is running, airborne pollutants like dust and more can collect on its interior surfaces. These particles can accumulate over time, and if not addressed they can:
- restrict airflow
- reduce comfort
- reduce energy efficiency
- reduce the life of the system through corrosion and material breakdown
DIY or schedule maintenance with a professional?
Cleaning or replacing the system’s air filter is an easy DIY project most homeowners can handle, and it definitely helps reduce the buildup of contaminants in your heating system. However, professional HVAC technicians have the equipment and expertise to dig a little deeper. They can:
- clean and tune up interior components
- evaluate system operation to be sure the unit is heating effectively
- make minor repairs that might prevent bigger ones in the future
What to expect during an HVAC service appointment
A standard furnace maintenance appointment, often marketed as a “clean and check” generally lasts about an hour. In most cases, your technician will run the system in all of its modes to check that heating temperatures are correct, the system is functioning correctly, and there are no signs of malfunction. While every contractor is a little different, your tune-up might include:
- Make sure all electrical and gas connections are sound and components are working properly
- Check for secure physical connections of individual parts
- Check ignitor resistance – new furnaces do not have pilot lights
- Clean the flame sensor if applicable
- Inspect and clean the burners
- Inspect the heat exchanger for signs of damage such as cracks or corrosion
- On 90% AFUE or higher furnaces, inspect and clean condensate drain lines
- Perform combustion analysis
- Check and if necessary, adjust gas pressure
- Inspect the vent pipe for loose fittings and proper support
The cost will vary depending on your dealer, but many HVAC contractors offer special pricing for clean and check visits, or offer service contracts that include spring and fall checkups along with preferred pricing for additional service and parts.
So, if the days are getting shorter and you can hear the recliner and TV remote calling your name, it may be time to make a call of your own. Scheduling a heating system tune-up can go a long way towards ensuring a comfy, cozy and reliable autumn.
Schedule Regular Maintenance to Maintain Your System and Avoid Any Emergencies This Winter
Gross Heating and Air Conditioning is always available to check out your HVAC system for any problems that might occur. We provide comprehensive maintenance checks which will allow us to find any problems before they become serious. Contact us today!
Stay up to date with all of our specials and news by subscribing to our newsletter. Enjoy a $15 off coupon for signing up for our twice-a-year newsletter!