Why You Need a Maintenance Agreement—Not Just a Clean & Check
Studies show that 90 percent of HVAC failures are the result of dirt and dust in the system. With the annual clean & check included with the maintenance agreement, a professional technician will change dirty filters and detect other problems that can affect system efficiency. As a result, monthly energy bills are lower.
Most maintenance agreements include a clean & check for your system. Because you’ve already paid for it, you’re more likely to have your clean & check performed, rather than being tempted to wait since “everything seems to be working just fine.” That annual service alone can substantially extend your equipment life by as much as 20 to 30 percent—an additional three to five years for air conditioners and heat pumps, and 10 to 15 years for a furnace!
Additional benefits of maintenance agreements
- The clean & check services included with your maintenance agreement will be more comprehensive than a tuneup offered at a lowball price. Gross Heating, for example, provides a maintenance agreement with a 14-point check for all makes and models of gas furnaces and a 16-point check for air conditioning systems.
- A maintenance agreement most likely includes priority scheduling which can save you time and money.
- Repair part discounts are sometimes included in a maintenance agreement. If issues are detected in your clean & check or during another service call, you may pay up to 15 percent less on parts.
- Having a qualified technician professionally service your system a few times a year helps to spot and repair small issues, instead of waiting until those issues become larger, more expensive problems.
- You may be able to use your maintenance agreement as a strong selling point if you decide to move and your maintenance agreement automatically transfers to the new owners.
What we recommend
Before you sign a contract or purchase a maintenance agreement, do some research. Talk to your neighbors or friends who have maintenance agreements and may be able to help you make an informed choice. Check to see what’s included with a maintenance agreement before you agree to it. And be sure the company you’re dealing with is reliable and honest, like Carrier dealer Gross Heating.