The Great Debate: Is Gas, Electric, or Oil Heating Best?
We all need reliable heating service to get us through Wisconsin’s infamous winters. But no two homes are built identically, just as no two heating systems are exactly the same. Some use gas as a fuel source while others use electricity or oil. Is one really better than the others? Which one should you choose when installing a new furnace or boiler?
The short answer is that there is no short answer. There are many factors to take into consideration, including the size of your home and what features you want. That’s why we’ve put together this comprehensive list. Read on to discover the best (and worst) features of each fuel type and decide for yourself whether gas, electric, or oil heating is best for you.
The Upside and Downside of Gas Heating
Gas is used in nearly half the homes across America. In the Midwest, that number is even higher.
- Convenient to use
- Cheaper than electricity
- Can be used to power everything from furnaces to boilers
- Gas line installation could be costly
- Appliances need routine maintenance to work effectively
- Inefficient energy-to-heating exchange
Pros and Cons of Electric Heating Systems
Electric systems work similarly to gas systems but use an electric ignition to start rather than a pilot light.
- Environmentally friendly
- Doesn’t make loud or clunky noises when operating
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Systems are susceptible to power outages
- More expensive to use than gas
- Slower response to temperature changes
Advantages and Disadvantages of Oil-Fueled Systems
Oil furnaces run similarly to gas systems, but have a few distinct differences from both gas and electric systems.
- Burns hotter than gas, meaning it heats your home much faster
- Accessible to homes in remote areas
- Systems last almost twice as long as gas units
- Cost fluctuates depending on value of crude oil
- You have to schedule oil deliveries to get heat
- Requires a large oil tank in your basement
Pair the Right Installers With the Right Heating System
Picking gas, electric, or oil heating systems really comes down to which one is right for your home. If you’re not sure, or have more furnace installation questions, give Gross Heating & Air Conditioning a call. As a top Carrier® Factory Authorized Dealer, we’ll do more than steer you in the right direction—we’ll walk you through every step of the installation, repair, or maintenance process. From heating and cooling service to recommending indoor air quality products, we’re your one-stop home comfort shop. Call us today at 262-783-6000 or contact us online.
3260 N. 126th Street
Brookfield, WI 53005
24-Hour Emergency Service Available